To say that buttermilk is hard to find in the Philippines is an understatement.
Just like whipping cream and heavy cream, Big supermarkets and small ones alike rarely carry it. You have to make an extra effort to drive by a specialty store (baking supplies store), which is usually out of the way, just to get one.
Anyway, i find that nothing makes chicken more tender than buttermilk. Soaking chicken in buttermilk for at least an hour or overnight makes it extra extra juicy and tender.
Forgive me for the lousy presentation, i was starving and couldn't wait to dig in already.
BAKED BUTTERMILK CHICKEN FILLET
2 pcs chicken fillets
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. wash the chicken with cold water and lightly pound it
2. soak chicken in buttermilk, drown the fillets for at least an hour but best over night
3. season with paprika, salt and pepper
4. dredge in flour, shake off excess
5. quickly dip in buttermilk
6. press on a plate of panko, be generous
7. drizzle with olive oil
8. bake in the oven at 350F for 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown