Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oriental Orange Chicken

We bought oranges yesterday. It was a fun shopping trip as I had finally figured out how to let my lil one enjoy the activity as well. My 11 month old daughter prefers being carried over being pushed in her stroller. You can say that she hates it as much as sitting on those toddler seats in push carts. The secret as I have learned it to be is to 1. make her sit in the cart giving her space to reach for the goods and inspect them at will 2. make her enjoy the food at the free taste counters (my lil one had her share of cheese and bread) 3. hand her the items (those safe ones that aren't choking hazards) and allow her to play with them.


Anyway, back to the oranges. I initially wanted my baby to enjoy drinking freshly squeezed orange juice but saw that she looked like she was being punished with each sip so i decided to make Orange chicken instead and let her taste chicken marinated in orange juice...

FOR THE MARINADE
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/2 cup packed  brown sugar
3 tbsp rice wine
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4-5 cloves garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
I used 7 pcs boneless chicken Fillets and cut them into strips but you can cut them into chunks or whichever way it may please you. Dredged them in corn flour mixed with chinese 5 spice powder and shallow fried them they were crispy and brown.

FOR THE SAUCE

Set aside 1/4 of the marinade
let simmer and thicken with corn flour

enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment