Thursday, February 2, 2012

French Macarons - first attempt

I had planned on going to the Cocoa Pantry this morning to buy myself baking essentials and supplies but for some reason I ended up in Sweet Craft in Mandaluyong City. 
It felt like I had died and gone to baking heaven with all the baking goodies they had in the store. I had initially only planned on buying supplies for my cupcakes such as liners, boxes, icing sugar and a round tip but in walking through aisle after aisle of heaven I ended up buying all sorts of stuff.
Anyway, because I had slivered almonds already I figured I'd try making french macarons.
Yes I got ambitious again. and i think this time I over estimated my baking capabilities haha oh well practice makes perfect. I will buy myself a round tip and swear not to overbeat my egg whites next time.


blame it on foodbuzz for featuring macarons as their daily special yesterday...


FRENCH MACARONS
120 grams egg white (approx 3 large eggs)
50 grams white sugar (1/4 cup)
pinch of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
food coloring (optional)


150 grams slivered almonds
170 grams powdered sugar


In a food processor pulse process powdered sugar and almonds til you get a flour like consistency. set aside.


In a bowl, beat eggs on low until foamy, add cream of tartar and beat on medium-high speed , gradually add salt and sugar until stiff peaks form. add food color.


Carefully fold in the almond and sugar mixture until mixture turns glossy.
be careful not to over fold the mixture.


use a piping bag with a round tip and pipe onto parchment paper lined baking tray


bake at 285F for 16 minutes.


fill with ganache or buttercream.


I used nutella buttercream
1/2 stick butter
3 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup nutella

No comments:

Post a Comment